Thursday, May 13, 2010

#9

9. Our family loves to read! From the time I was a little girl, I have had a love for books. Books were one thing my parents never told me I could not have. They were always eager and willing to buy me the newest book in a series I was dying to finish. Ahh, remember the days of Little House on The Prarie, Babysitter's Club, and The Boxcar Children? During the summer, my parents actually paid my sister and I to read. I think we got $1 a book (which seems very cheap to me now)! On family vacations and by the pool, we always had a book in our hands. My parents challenged us to read all of The Classics (Tom Sawyer, Black Beauty, Little Women, The Call of The Wild, etc.) and this created in us a love for literature! Jon grew up in a family that loves to read as well. His Pawpaw always told him, "Readers are Leaders"! I want to foster a love for books, learning, and reading in Ansley. Currently, she loves to rummage through her book basket, pull EVERY book out and then "thumb" through them one by one. It's so cute. She talks as if she is reading aloud and she calls every animal she spots a "dog".

What we are currently reading:
Ansley~
Her favorite book is a farm animals book and if you tell her to "find the duck", she will turn to the page with the fuzzy duck and say "duh" for duck! Precious!

Karen~
I just started a new book last night called, Launching Your Kids For Life! It's a book that reads like it was written in my language. I am loving it and hope to learn a lot from it. I will likely post some GREAT excerpts from it on the blog.

Jon~
Jon reads a lot of books at one time. I think he's currently reading 3 Things Kids Need Most, Toddlerwise and God Owns My Business.



What book(s) are you currently reading? I love a good recommendation...especially with summer right around the corner!

2 comments:

Brandi said...

I wish I could tell you I was reading the best book but my most recent book was on potty training and it really didn't bring a ton to the table. However I'm ready to get back to Karen Kingbury & the Sonrise series. Love, love, love her books! When you said Babysitters Club I smiled. I had completely forgotten about them but I loved them when I was growing up. I also loved Judy Blume books (Super Fudge, Tails of the Fourth Grade Nothing). We also saw some Berstein Bears books at BAM and I remember seeking them out in the library at school along with every other kid. Good times!

Leslie said...

How funny! Richard and I are going to be paying Josiah to read this summer. I've already purchased a number of books for him to read. Can't wait! I've been unsure of the payment though. Mmmm...more to think about there. I'm currently reading The Call of the Wild to them all! I read during Jace's morning nap and they build with blocks and legos while they listen. It's been bliss. :)