Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Thanksgiving in Kindergarten



I know I often use this blog to update our friends and family on life with Ansley. However, I want to take a moment and tell you about life with 17 five year olds. What a blessing it has been to teach for six years now. I am so thankful for the ministry I have in the field of education.

A thought came to me the other day while teaching reading... I have now taught almost 100 children how to read. Then, I begin to think about the impact reading will have on them for a lifetime. The power of influence is astounding. Moreover, I reflected on how those 100 children have in turn influenced me. They have blessed me and showed me often times a new perspective on life. They see things I don't, they feel things I don't, they love in ways I don't. It's humbling and precious all at the same time.

This year, I videotaped them each telling me things they are thankful for. Do you know what I noticed? They were all thankful for relationships...with God, mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, teachers, grandparents, friends, and family. Of course there were a few who were thankful for things, such as, Michael Jackson, Santa, and their pets! How compelling that at the age of five when asked what they are most thankful for, they said people...not things...not places...but people. At this tender age, they have a heart for those around them.

A quote hangs in our school that states, "No significant learning occurs without a significant relationship." I am thankful for the relationship I have with each of my students and the relationships they are building with others...it's a beautiful thing to watch unfold!

No comments: