Saturday, December 12, 2009

Christmas Challenge

I've just started reading the book, He's Been Faithful by Carol Cymbala (Jim Cymbala's wife) and I can't put it down. It's filled with stories of trusting God to do what only He can do. I love it! This year, God's been teaching me a lot about obeying Him and His leading, and being willing to step out of my comfort zone and pray for people when He prompts me. I must admit, I oftentimes do not do a very good job of following through with His gentle nudges. However, when I have, the miracles and blessings abound and He proves to me once again that HE IS FAITHFUL!

A few weeks ago, I found out that the lady that teaches across the hall from me was having her observation by our principal that day. I could tell she was nervous and anxious. I knew the Lord was telling me to go over to her room and pray with her about the observation before her day began. I was nervous but I obeyed. Later that day, she came up to me and shared how she had been in her room that morning feeling such a lack of peace but the moment after I prayed with her the burden of nervousness just melted off of her! A few days later, she left a card on my desk. In it she shared what a blessing my prayer was to her. She said that at church that Sunday they were asked to stand and share where they had encountered Jesus that week and she said she told them in her classroom when I prayed with her she saw Jesus being lived out....Glory to God!

Just Thursday, I was at the doctor's office and a man in the waiting room was sharing his family struggles aloud to another man who was waiting. I couldn't help but overhear them talking. I wasn't personally invited into the conversation but that didn't matter because my heart was being pulled towards his story. This man needed someone to listen to him and feel his hurt. He shared that his father is severely sick with Alzhiemers and for the last three years I found out that he has spent every night away from his own family and over at his parents house to be a helpmate to his mother and father. My heart was moved at the love and care this gentleman was showing his parents who desperately need him during this painful time. After the man who was listening to him was called back to see the doctor, I felt a burning inside of me to go over and pray with this man about his situation. I wish I could tell you that I obeyed God and followed through with His promptings but instead I thought of a million excuses why I shouldn't. I am sad to say that I did not obey. I did find out his name and have been praying for his family but that's not what I know God asked me to do...He wanted me to be "Jesus" in the flesh to this man. To show Him that Emmanuel is with us. So, I left challenged that next time the promptings came I would pray for strength to step out in faith.

This book is challenging me to do just that. Remember when Moses shrank back from doing what the Lord asked of him because he felt inadequate? Then, the Lord told him that his brother Aaron could instead become His spokesman.

Cymbala says, "If you really want God to use you, then you have to be willing to follow Him into uncomfortable places and to do things you simply can't do on a natural level. Sometimes the greatest things that happen in our lives involve doing things that at the very time we dread." God give us the strength to obey your voice and see lives changed!

No comments: