Thursday, October 23, 2008

Our Teacher Is Having A Baby!

This week, my kindergarten class studied Animal Babies. They learned about animals that live in the grasslands and how their mothers care for them. They also discovered the names baby animals are called. I thought this would be the perfect week to tell my class that I am expecting a baby! On Tuesday, after our shared writing time and having my students compare and contrast animal babies and their mothers with human babies and their mothers, I decided to break the big news to the class! They were so excited! I showed them the months of the year in our calendar area and explained to them that the baby was not going to be born until March. I reassured them that I would be at school until the baby arrived in March and then another teacher would be there to help them finish the school year. I carefully explained that on Tuesday I would be going to the doctor where they would "take a picture of the inside of my stomach" and the doctor would tell me if it was a baby girl or a baby boy. Then, I made pink and blue bears and during math time, I let them vote: "Will it be a baby boy or a baby girl?" They wrote their names on the bears and we created a class graph and read the data to determine the results. Of course, the girls were very excited that "baby girl" won! On Wednesday (after going to the doctor on Tuesday), I plan to share the exciting results with the class and see whose predictions were correct! Check out the pictures from our day on Tuesday...






1 comment:

annieck said...

You're such a great teacher, Karen! I just love it!