Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Love Is In The Air...Already?!

Is is just me or are you excited about February being right around the corner? January always seems dreary and blue to me and February brings glimmers of red, purple, pink, hearts, love, hugs, kisses, cards, cookies, chocolate, cupcakes and candy! Wow, I think I just got a stomachache and a cavity typing that sentence!

I don't really know why I am so excited about the upcoming holiday...maybe it's because we have a precious little cupid named Ansley to celebrate the day with! It's funny because it's not even February yet and I've already made a red velvet cake and taken Ansley's Valentine pictures this week. Holidays just seem to be even more special when you are celebrating them with your child for the first time. It's so cool to think that our Heavenly Father delights in loving us just as we delight in loving our children, our spouse, and others! I was wondering if anyone out there in blog world has any great ideas or traditions that you do with your kids during the month of February that you would be willing to share with us since this is Ansley's 1st Valentine's season?

I know we are commanded to love God and others everyday but there is something special to me about having a month dedicated to just that...LOVE...what fun! One thing I have decided to do next month is to find some small (or big) way to bless and "love on" someone each and every day...whether it's Jon, Ansley, one of my students, a co-worker or a complete stranger. This got me excited. So, today I decided to do a keyword study in the Message Bible on "love" and I found some really neat verses. So, I thought I would share three of them with you that stood out to me and challenged me...
1 Corinthians 13:3
"If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don't love, I've gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I'm bankrupt without love. Love never gives up. Love cares more for others than for self. Love doesn't want what it doesn't have. Love doesn't strut, Doesn't have a swelled head, Doesn't force itself on others, Isn't always "me first," Doesn't fly off the handle, Doesn't keep score of the sins of others, Doesn't revel when others grovel, Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth, Puts up with anything, Trusts God always, Always looks for the best, Never looks back, But keeps going to the end."
1 Corinthians 14:1
"Go after a life of love as if your life depended on it—because it does. Give yourselves to the gifts God gives you. Most of all, try to proclaim his truth."
Mark 12:29
"Jesus said, 'The first in importance is, 'Listen, Israel: The Lord your God is one; so love the Lord God with all your passion and prayer and intelligence and energy.' And here is the second: 'Love others as well as you love yourself.' There is no other commandment that ranks with these.'"

3 comments:

The Chiaramontes said...

Oh my!!!! How cute is that picture! I love it!!!! I need to do something creative with Ella for Valentine's Day!

Leslie said...

Something we do is make chocolate dipped strawberries (white chocolate and dark). I also buy Nestles strawberry powder to flavor our milk and make it pink. Josiah isn't a fan of it anymore but me and the two behind him still like it. :) We also begin to write love notes to each other and collect them to read on Vday itself and of course I have to use my heart shaped cookie cutters to make their sandwiches for lunch. I think this year I may incorporate us looking at our wedding album with the kids and talking of God's love story he wrote for Richard and I. :) Now that you mentioned Red Velvet Cake though...I may have to work that into our school day! Oh and this year will begin a new tradition of finalizing plans for the February birthday boy around here! Happy Valentine's Day...about 3 weeks early!

annieck said...

SO sweet! I hope you enjoy this sweet month with that sweet girl!

One thing I have on my heart to do is a FREE yard sale. I have been praying, since the beginning of the year, for God to help me clear my life of clutter, the physical clutter (like in my car, home, work, etc) and mental clutter. I want to be clutter free! I want to let go of fear of getting rid of stuff and trust God that I will have plenty.
Anyway, along with that, God has been showing me via several avenues that He is in control and taking care of my needs. He's also showing me encouragement in getting rid of stuff.
SO, I LOVE your idea of loving on people in February! I have been planning to do a yard sale where we just GIVE to anyone who comes. No charges for the items. I mentioned the idea to Channing, and he likes it too. I thought about asking if anyone else wants to participate. Would y'all like to? Have anything you want to bless someone else with?
I definitely think I'll do it close to Valentine's Day. I just love that!

Love you guys!!!