Monday, January 4, 2010

First Things First

Happy 2010 from The Mitchell Family!

The beginning of the year or a new season of life is always an exciting time. January 1st was the start of a new year and Jon and I are believing that, if we will pray and seek God and give Him our best at the first of the year, He will bless our entire year!

What better way to start off our new year than to dedicate our daughter, Ansley Elise, to our Lord. She will be dedicated at our church on January 6! On April 9, the day of her birth, as we held our hand-crafted-by-God miracle in our hands and joined our family in dedicating her to the Lord we knew that one day the time would come to dedicate her publically. So, we kick off this new year and decade with a time of celebration and committment as we dedicate our daughter and ask our family, friends, and church to join us in modeling Christ-likeness to her.

On January 10, our family will join countless others in what is becoming known as "The Fasting Movement 2010"! Our church, Church of The Highlands, along with many others will be a part of this special season. Jentezen Franklin has some good information on the fast on his website. During this time, we as individuals, as a couple, as a family, and as the body of Christ will join together in diligently seeking to know God better. That is all a fast is...an opportunity to know God better. I need to know Him better and I want to. I believe He is calling me to move into the holy place where He is and I'm trusting that He is going to give me fresh words from Him as I get into His Word day and night. I listened to Franklin's message tonight on "Foundations of Fasting" and was challenged to view fasting as a time to pray without ceasing. God has never done away with sacrifice and if we "feast" on His Word instead of our guilty pleasures, He is sure to honor our sacrifice.

In these next days prior to this fast, I am praying that He will give me a cause for this purpose of fasting. One major thing I believe He has revealed to me is this, "Karen, I want things that are in you that are not of me to die."

As we put first things first this year, we hope to see our God do awesome things within our marriage and family! I hope this encourages you to join in this 21 day fast and if you do please share how He rewards you as you diligently seek after Him. "He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him!" (Hebrews 11:6)

No comments: