Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Inauguration




Tuesday, January 20th marked the inauguration of our new President. Although I did not vote for Obama, I do chose to respect him and honor him as our nation's leader. During this campaign and election, my heart has been softened and challenged towards righteousness and respect as I reflect on the teachings I have learned from John Bevere and his book, Honor's Reward: How to Attract God's Favor and Blessing. I've often overlooked the spiritual law of honor. I have often joined in as popular culture fights against the practice of honoring its leaders and as society in general resists authority and thus reaps the consequence of that disobedience. Although I do not endorse all of Obama's viewpoints and therefore do not honor dishonorable behavior or beliefs that are contrary to the doctrine of Christ, I do honor him because God's word commands that I "honor those in authority, pray for them, and walk in obedience to the Word of the Lord." We must realize that it is God, not man or even demonic forces, that brings a human being into legitimate authority. Throughout history, God has appointed every leader, whether their behavior has been good or harsh. He or she has been ordained for a specific reason, never by accident. In the case of a harsh leader, their authority is God appointed but their behavior is not originated by God. The leader will give an account to God, but in the meantime those of us who are under their rule will be tested, as was David. If we honor, we will be greatly rewarded.

So, yesterday on Inauguration, I chose to honor our new leader. I find it remarkable that my students who are primarily African-American can witness such a day in history. Our school celebrated in a big way! We had an assembly, dressed in our best clothes, watched the inauguration, and even went to an "inauguration lunch".Back in November, I believe it was vital that this young generation see our freedom and passion to vote and I equally believe it is important that this young generation see that regardless of who was chosen we now honor and respect the new leader of our country on inauguration day. For my students to see a man who is partly African-American seize his dream yesterday and take an oath to become our President was a marked day for them.....a day of hope. Yes, they are 5 and 6 years old but in speaking with them they understood what this meant for them and their families. I hope all children realize that whether we agree or disagree with the one chosen, we did have a choice, an opportunity to vote, and likewise an opportunity to honor and pray for our new leader.

No comments: